Sunday 28 June 2009

Yes, here I am in the Andamans - probably one of the most remote areas in the world. Getting a ticket was extremely stressful again as I got to the airport in good time at 4 am - got to the front on the queue fairly quickly but then was told to wait as I was still on the waiting list. Ten minutes before the plane was due to leave I was still waiting, I was beginning to think that I was going to have to spend the rest of my stay in Chennai, when they said that I had got the last seat. What a relief. I have since heard that there are still people stranded in Chennai unable to get to Port Blair - because it is the school holidays the locals like to go to the island for their holidays.
I contacted Doug to let him know the good news and so that he could e-mail Jay to confirm what time my flight was arriving.
Arrived in Port Blair hoping to see Jay at the gate but no luck - I was surrounded by taxi drivers wanting to know where I was staying but I hadn't a clue - I saw a poster advertising the Ripple Resort so thought I would stay there until Jay arrived as it was pouring with rain and I didn't want to stand outside the airport waiting. Just as well as I was still waiting two days later.......
The next two days were probably the most stressful days I have ever had. My only point of contact with Jay was via Doug as I couldn't get onto my e-mails and her mobile phone had been stolen. There also wasn't Internet connection at the Ripple Resort (which was a bit skanky) Doug e-mailed her to let her know where I was staying and then I settled down to wait and wait and wait......nothing. We hadn't actually heard anything since the Saturday when she e-mailed and said that she was going to Port Blair the next day to renew her visa - (they have to be renewed every 15 days and you can only stay a maximum of 30 days) It got to Wednesday and we started to panic. Where on earth was she?? I asked the lovely couple who managed the resort what I should do and they suggested the Port Blair police station. I was really worried by this stage. In the meantime they also contacted immigration to see if she had renewed her visa. An hour later they phoned to say that yes, she had, but on Tuesday, not Sunday. That made me feel better as I just couldn't understand what on earth Jay had been doing in Port Blair for the last three days with little to no money. To cut a long story short it transpired that Jay had been staying on Havelock Island where the Internet is rather intermittent and it chose the last 5 days to completely pack up - hence the lack of contact. I was able to track back through the immigration office to find out that she had gone back to Havelock. And that is where I am now!!
It is absolutely beautiful and I will be posting some photos when I get back as this computer (which has only just worked since I have been here) is extremely slow.