Thursday 22 October 2009

After the most beautiful autumn it is now rather unsettled but mild. Doug and I went for a ride on Dove and Harry. I had been riding Harry up until recently, when a couple of week-ends ago I took him with the farmers blood hounds. We had bought him very cheaply because according to his previous owner he couldn't jump, but looking at his racing form it was obvious that he was basically bolting into his fences and falling. I thought that jumping solid fences out hunting would sort him out and he started off really well and I was delighted with him, however, after about a dozen jumps, he started to really take a hold, and as it was raining I had absolutely no grip of the reins. To cut a long story short I was completely out of control - I would just point him at a fence and close my eyes as I had a complete brake failure, I would then career across the field and hope that he would stop with everyone else, eventually he did but not before he slipped over because I had to turn him to avoid an 'incident'. Thankfully we came across a road and I was able to come away from the rest of the field and hack back with Frog and Doug (Frog was less than enthusiastic about bloodhounding and was going backwards most of the time. What a pair!) Amy was on Dove and she went really well and jumped everything without any tantrums.
Anyway, We had been trying various different bits with him to try and get some brakes but nothing was working. Doug rode him yesterday around the all-weather gallop and couldn't hold him either but was really impressed with his ability. We were beginning to run out of options but someone had told us that a net around the horse's nose can help with a puller. It sounded ridiculous as there didn't seem to be any reason why it would work but this morning we tried it and although he looked highly embarrassed about what looked like fish-net stockings attached to his nose band, he was as good as gold and didn't once stick his head in the air and charge off. He made the most beautiful outline up the gallops and Doug was over the moon with him. So fingers crossed, we may have got a very good horse for very little money. I was riding Dream on the gallops who went really well but she is due to hurt herself soon so I am not getting too excited and Lucy was on Red, she admitted afterwards that she was just not fit enough and that was quite evident as she just couldn't hold her. I was also delighted with Dove who is settling really well and so far has been beautifully behaved. We are having to trick her into getting fit by trotting her around the farm and taking her hunting. Last season as soon as she saw the gallops she 'froze' so we want to avoid a stand-off if possible. Frog is now on holiday - she has been cubbing/hunting at least 10 times now and has began to settle but has also lost weight so now needs to put on weight. We are going to give her 3 weeks off.
Last night we went to Joe (Juniors) and Sophie's for supper, they had also invited Joe's Grandparents (my parents) which was very sweet of them and we had a lovely evening. We had half thought that it may be an 'announcement' evening but nothing was said, I think Sophie is very keen on getting married but Joe seems to be quite happy with things the way they are.
I spent this afternoon planting out snowdrop, bluebell and daffodil bulbs in the orchard. It makes Winter easier to deal with when you have got those to look forward to in the Spring.