Monday 16 January 2012

Costa Caleta - Fuerteventura











We have had a lovely few days away - ideal for this time of year when you don't want to spend hours on a plane (just under four hours from Birmingham) but want some sunshine, added to that we had worked it out that it was cheaper than going to Cornwall, with the cost of diesel, so it was a 'no brainer'. We spent the week, walking, reading, enjoying the beautiful weather and eating far too much in lovely restuarants - Just perfect.

We are now back full of enthusiasm for everything but frustrated by the weather - we had hoped to run Laverty, Doris or Frog at Ampton, but the ground was given out as good to firm with firm patches - It's just not worth risking horses on those conditions, we just have to be patient and hope we get some rain. Added to this it was my mothers 82nd Birthday lunch and also Jay is at home but going back on Sunday night so I wasn't too disappointed about the lack of racing and it was lovely to spend time with my family.

It was minus 4 this morning and the ground was solid so the horses had an easy day on the walker and then all turned out. We have double entered for this week-end, in case one track is frozen off, so Frog, Doris, Cyril, Whisper, Aitch, and Jess are entered for the Burton (North Carlton) and Frog, Laverty, Oaka and Jess are entered for the Heythrop ( I have to say it is my least favourite track) so hoping that the Burton is on, especially for Christopher's sake having been 'in training' for the last ten months for that specific race.

I am supposed to be on Jury service this week, but having spent most of the day at Oxford Crown Court they didn't need me as one trial at been postponed, and won't need me tomorrow either so hopefully that will be it and I won't be required again. It is a massive commitment for a self employed person, plus the fact that it takes over an hour to get into Oxford and then the parking is ridiculously expensive, so I wasn't in the best of moods this morning, especially as there I was, reluctantly on my way to do my 'public duty' when I got pulled over by PC Plod as I had forgotten to put my seat belt on, a nasty fine was then added to my very expensive day - Grrrrr!