Tuesday 4 June 2013

We took Popaway to see the vet, Ben Brain, yesterday to test her wind as we thought she might have a soft palate problem - She had an overland scope which is positioned in her trachea and a camera films her larynx and palate as she gallops around a track. It is fascinating to watch and it showed her palate collapsing when she was galloping flat out. She will need a small operation next season to correct that, but in the meantime a tongue strap will help to a degree.
We had a nasty incident with Jake yesterday - He fell over chasing Matilda, the pig, as he thought she was going to steal his food and charged at her, slipping over in the yard. The plonker! He now has gravel rash and a sore hip. The chiropractor straightened him up this afternoon  but it isn't ideal if he is going to run at the week-end. Having said that it looks as though Stratford is going to be too firm, so he may have the easier option of going to Dingley if he is OK by then.
I had my last ride this morning before going into hospital for my hip operation tomorrow morning. I'm trying not to think too much about it........
Let's change the subject - After the fox took our pair of ducks I used some of their eggs and put them under two broody bantams. They hatched out this morning and they are SO CUTE. I then had to rush off to the poultry centre at Towcester to get another chicken hutch as one bantam is taking all the ducklings and the other one is getting really upset about it so I need to separate them and put three with one and four with the other. Doug said I should just let the one bantam have them all but I couldn't do that, especially as the poor things have been sitting for a whole month! It came in a flat pack so i am just going to try and assemble it now.  This should test my patience.............