Sunday 29 November 2009

A family of swans has decided to spend winter on the lake at the bottom of our meadow.
Ben went hunting for the first time yesterday - he was as nervous as a kitten and had to go to the loo numerous times before hand. A good glass of port at the meet gave him some dutch courage and he ended up doing really well and we were pleased with Jake, who at home is rather lazy, but really enjoyed his hunting and looked every bit a race horse. Doug went on Harry and I was on Dream. Both went really well and we were delighted with them.
Last night we went to the Pytchley Farmers Ball - Both Josh and Joseph were there with Emma (Josh's wife) and Sophie (Joseph's girlfriend). I've been going to the Farmers Ball since before I had children and it made me feel somewhat ancient and curiously surprised at how quickly time is going by.
As it was such a late night we have had a lovely lazy day today - after doing the horses I went for a walk where I saw the swans and a stunning kingfisher by the river. Winter is gathering momentum and there was a cold northern wind. Then back for a late Sunday roast by the fire. Perfect. Now catching up with a bit of office work.