Sunday 23 November 2014

Huge congratulations to our neighbours Ben and Sarah Case (who also happen to be Equine Fitness customers!) for their terrific 19 length win with Croco Bay, owned by Lady Jane Grosvenor in the Country Living Handicap chase at Ascot yesterday. He absolutely bolted up and a wonderful win for a lovely couple who very much deserve their success.




Croco Bay winning at Ascot
It was also great to see another local trainer Paul Cowley. win at Towcester today. It wasn't such a hot race but just as important to Paul and connections and always nice when our local trainers get rewarded for all their hard work.  
We have had a wonderfully relaxing weekend. The Pytchley Farmers Ball we were supposed to be going to on Saturday night was cancelled due to lack of numbers which was a real shame as it has been going for as long as I can remember, but the fact that it clashed with the Warwickshire Hunt ball would have had a lot to do with it. As it happens it was lovely to have a night in for a change.  
Yesterday we went hunting and I made my first contribution to the drop pot - Somehow I managed to part company with Flash jumping a post and rails....It was a nice soft landing but my jacket will take some cleaning as it was really muddy. Jake and Doug were behind me and managed to avoid adding insult to injury by treading over the top of me. No harm done though and I only did it as I am the only one left who hadn't made a contribution.....!?
The hunt was very local and at about 6 pm I heard a howling down by the river. One of the hounds had got detached from the others and was lost. I went down with a torch and could see her standing by the river trying to work out how to cross it and howling her head off. She wouldn't come to me and ran downstream, but Patrick Martin the huntsman, with the help of Phil, came back later and managed to catch her by blowing the hunting horn. It is funny to see how brave they are in a pack but when they get lost and separated from their friends they can seriously panic.