Tuesday 29 July 2014

Back into harness now getting ready for our Open Day which is on the 24th August - The break away was lovely but tinged with sadness as I made a couple of visits to friends who are going through real trials in their lives - The first was Jenny, who now lives in Devon and was a very good friend of Sally's and although I didn't know her terribly well when Sally was alive I have since got to know why Sally was so fond of her. She is married to Alan who has developed dementia and she literally has to 'babysit' him 24/7. Alan was a highly intelligent dynamic businessman and although he is a very happy dementia sufferer he is seriously hard work for Jenny, who has had to give up work to look after him. I slept in the same room as Sally always stayed in when she visited and the first book I picked up had Sally's cheery greeting in as it was a present from her to Jenny. I really felt her presence there and still miss her terribly...
I then had a couple of very pleasant days in Trebarwith Strand, just walking with Lucy the dog, swimming reading and generally chilling out before my visit to Jaine who lives in North Devon. Jaine is one of my oldest friends, I have known her since I was twelve and we have kept in contact since. She has relatively recently been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease and I was shocked at how quickly it has taken hold. She could only walk with the help of a frame and was also losing her feeling in her hands. However, she was incredibly cheerful and reflective about how lucky she had been to have three lovely children and a very supportive husband. I was bowled over by her immense courage and bravery and drove home feeling somewhat humble.